Whats everybody doing today?

Discussion in 'Front Porch Chat' started by Grimm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:34 PM #1261

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

Built a stairway to the upper storage deck in the new garage. Also built a door between the shop and garage. I'll never get done with all the work in there.

BugoutBob, Peanut, DrPrepper and 4 others like this.
  2. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:37 PM #1262

gumpy

gumpy

gumpy

When you have your own place it never stops!
    carpenter-animation-2018.gif

3. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:38 PM #1263

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn Neighbor Contributor

I was the only girl with 4 brothers only I was the 2nd in the line up. It's truly a miracle that I lived to adulthood! I rode my horses in the back country for hours at a time. Rattlesnake country, bobcat, havelinas . I could ride with the best and climb the highest...

4. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:40 PM #1264

gumpy

gumpy

gumpy

YEEEEHAAA! Ride em raw, girl!
    anicow1.GIF

5. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:41 PM #1265

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

I bet you loved every minute of it too.:horsie:I know I did. It was a good life and very healthy if you lived,.:green man:

6. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:43 PM #1266

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

:woo hoo::horsie::thumbs up:. NannyP had it going on .

7. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:45 PM #1267

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

Lol!!

8. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:43 PM #1268

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Had work. Had to call in a parent with a new student. THEN I find out why he had been asked to leave two other preschools. The parents have committed to taking turns coming in when I've had enough to readjust his attitude. He right hooked two kids his first hour in today. Had to lecture grandson about grades after getting an email from his social studies teacher, letting us know he is failing that class. Academically, he is an A student, like he showed us last year. This year he is goofing off and doesn't care. So, I gave him a good reason to care....no friends, no tv, no video games, no activities till the grades are up. I told him he can have those things that he wants if he gets A's. If he doesn't, he gets nothing he wants. He is very capable, but only goes to school to horse around with friends. A teacher's nightmare. I finished 6 lotions with various essential oils (On Guard, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood), and 6 jars of Spiced Coffee Mocha Mix. Back to smoothies for dinner.

Peanut, gumpy, BugoutBob and 4 others like this.
  9. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:58 PM #1269

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Hope tomorrow is better. I know what your saying some kids are really messed up. Teachers have so much to deal with now. Very stressful job.

10. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:04 PM #1270

Resto

Resto

Resto

Awesome Friend Contributor Neighbor

13 hrs of Malfunctions. Im glad this day is over. Eat, Beer, Bed. Try again Tomorrow.

Patchouli, Peanut, gumpy and 2 others like this.
  11. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM #1271

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Contributor Neighbor

2 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away.
    Bathroom cleaned.
    Made several meals, including lunch for tomorrow.
    Have grand daughter tomorrow.
    Kitchen cleaned, floors swept, steam mopped.
    Living vacuumed.
    Furniture dusted.
    Took back to parents puzzle board.

BugoutBob, Meerkat, Peanut and 2 others like this.
  12. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:46 PM #1272

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Does it seem that there is more and more bullying going on? I have no memory of it from when I first started teaching, but as time went on, there was more and more of it. I had no tolerance of it and dealt with bullies. We had Friday meetings in my class to have an opportunity to discuss problems, to give students an opportunity to solve problems or to offer ideas.

I had a dear student whose mother called me one day to tell me that her daughter didn't want to come to school any more because of how others were treating her. When I sat my students down to ask what was going on, there were several stories about how she was being mistreated. Guess what? It was on days when I was absent, happened in the hall when I was in class teaching, and on the playground. I was never present when it happened. I was not being dramatic, but it was one of those rare times that I just started crying right there, in front of my students. I couldn't understand how she could be treated like she was. There were several students involved. No wonder she didn't want to come to school any more.

After the Columbine shootings, there were lots of meetings and trainings about bullying in public schools. One of the things that I learned, along with my colleagues is that bullies see themselves as victims. Confront a bully and they find every which way to play the victim. They will cry on the spot. That didn't fly with me. I grew up with an older brother who was a BIG bully and who got away with it. He beat up my younger brother daily, and nothing was done about it. It happened where no adults could see it and there is never an accident about that. It is how bullies work.

I also saw many of the bullies in school as being narcissistic. A narcissist does not ever want to be called out on their horrible behavior. I came to the conclusion that there was one thing someone mistreating another would not want to do: tell what they did and then to tell why it was not right. I started a technique or strategy that was extremely effective. My students had to write a letter or long note, detailing what they had done to the other person. And then they had to tell what they could have and should have done instead. And then they had to tell what they would do next time. Then they had to tell the person how what they did hurt them. After I read the note and sent them back several times to edit, improve it, get it all there, they got to have a private meeting with the person, looking at them, me supervising of course, reading the note and then giving it to the person. All of this makes a bully never want to do anything wrong again. And some tried to minimize this process and pretend everything was okay. It was extremely effective for bullies who did not get it when they were told to stop whatever behavior they had that was not acceptable. Once I entered into the reconciliation process of the bully with the victim, bullies wanted it all to be over yesterday. They did not want to be participating in this at all. The whole thing made them very uncomfortable, and I did not back down from the process or relieve this for the bully. Having THEM have to tell about their misbehavior was probably never easy for them, but it was extremely effective to have them change their behavior.

Another thing that I had done was when someone bullied another student and made them cry, the bully was responsible to hang out with the victim, take care of them, be with them, until they were done crying. That is another thing the bully did not like at all.

Bullies abound. We even see them occasionally on forums!

13. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM #1273

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

@Weedygarden there was plenty of bullying going on when I was a kid. The difference now, I think, that no one really wants to deal with it. They make lots of noise about it but nobody really wants to hold the parents and children (or employees or forum members) accountable for their action

14. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:28 PM #1274

Homesteader33

Homesteader33

Homesteader33

finished my basement bathroom sink and the walls today, now to put the toilet, floor (tile) and trim then onto the next room! IMG_7754.JPG

15. Feb 14, 2018 at 3:44 AM #1275

gumpy

gumpy

gumpy

Very nice work! I like that look.

16. Feb 14, 2018 at 9:16 AM #1276

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

NannyPatty

Thinking about taking a little road trip just to get out of the house. Start here at home and make a big circle through Gainesville, Munster (German country) I love the market there. It'll only take 2 or 3 hours unless we stop and get out. Usually a nice outing.

Patchouli, Weedygarden, Resto and 5 others like this.
  17. Feb 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM #1277

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Yes it seems there is more bullying now than use to be. And more divisions.
    I like your plan and the idea you took time to implimint it. My mother was taught by her parents and she taught us to never make fun of people or hurt others for no reason . I think kids today don't have enough ettiquet and manners or compassion taught at home. Now and then a bully would pick on others and I'd always jump in verbally and a couple times physically.
    A kid in Atlanta named ButterBean was a bully. Last fight I had with a boy [ after age 11 or 12 girls don't win fights with boys, muscle factor really kicks in by then ] I had was with him for attacking a little black boy walking down sidewalk. He had already threw rocks at a dog before that.
    Society is getting more violent now all the way around.

18. Feb 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM #1278

CluelessKai

CluelessKai

CluelessKai

Taking Mom to physical therapy and cooking supper. That will be about it for me today. Maybe some me time this evening with a glass of wine and a hot relaxing bath...

Resto, MoBookworm1957, gumpy and 3 others like this.
  19. Feb 14, 2018 at 12:01 PM #1279

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Took a break from working in the garage this morning and finally did the permanent hook up for the generator. Now I am more ready for an outage. I had used it in the past with a crude temp hook up.

20. Feb 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM #1280

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Good idea. Neato. :thumbs up:

21. Feb 14, 2018 at 1:11 PM #1281

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

This is the truth. No one does want to deal with it, so if they turn a blind eye or bury their head in the sand, it is never perceived as wrong. The boss I had who had been told one of the teachers was being inappropriate with girls is a perfect example. She should have been held accountable.

22. Feb 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM #1282

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I have been thinking about this. A 9 or 10 year old boy goosing a girl is sexually offending her. This needs to be addressed very seriously. In Denver Public Schools, that would mean a 5 day suspension for the first offense. DPS deal with behaviors as they fit the age and development of the child. While a h.s. student would go much further, a younger child acts out in other ways, such as forcing a kiss on a girl. I have known younger children who acted out and when they became adults, still had inappropriate behavior that got them registered as sex offenders. I hope this works out so that Roo does not have to deal with this any more.

23. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:38 PM #1283

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

My goodness,while we were discussing school and how kids act look what happened today.

24. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:45 PM #1284

Angie

Angie

Angie

Awesome Friend Staff Member Admin

I LOVE that sink arrangement.

25. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:51 PM #1285

Angie

Angie

Angie

Awesome Friend Staff Member Admin

That school shooting in FL today makes me glad that 7 of my 8 grandkids have never been in a school building and are homeschooled.

Today I received a new doll wig. I was having wigs glued on the doll, but it's less expensive to have a doll where I can change the wigs. Here's the doll after the new wig was put on the doll. Yeah, I play with American Girl dolls (as in sewing for them and changing their wigs)

[​IMG]

26. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:10 PM #1286

Resto

Resto

Resto

Wine and a Hot Bath. Please say you have Jasmine Pedals for that Bath.

27. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:38 PM #1287

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Some of my first baths were in a tub like that before we had running water.

28. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM #1288

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

2 hours blowing snow, an hour fixing and reinstalling tire chain for snowblower, time with guest at B&B, walked the dog, grocery shopping, filled wife’s car, installed new thermostat in one of the upstairs bedroom, did some B&B bookkeeping

29. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM #1289

Homesteader33

Homesteader33

Homesteader33

The wood on the walls is all pallet wood, the tub is a 15.5 gal galvanized tub from tractor supply that i cut a hole in and put a drain in it. My entire basement is going to be done in this same look. Going with tile for the floors, haven't decided if we are going with a stone tile look or wood look but it is going to be tile.

MoBookworm1957, gumpy, hiwall and 6 others like this.
  30. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:46 PM #1290

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

I bathed in a #3 wash tub until I was in the 3rd grade. We got indoor running water the year armstrong went to the moon!