Solar Minimum

Discussion in 'News of the Day' started by Caribou, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Feb 12, 2018 #1

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Contributor

Scientists: World Facing a Looming Ice Age Due to Solar Cooling
    February 11, 2018/by News Editor

By Bihu Ray. Remember the 1989 science fiction novel The Dying Sun by Gary Blackwood, where people were forced to migrate from the US to Mexico because of the freezing weather triggered by cooling down of the Sun? Scientists are now afraid that such a situation can become a reality in the near future. The question that now arises is, are we at all prepared for another ice age?

A study by the University of California San Diego has claimed that by 2050, the Sun is expected to become cool. You might think “what’s the big deal,” but remember that this means the solar activities that create the heat of the Sun to sustain life on Earth may diminish. And the last time it happened was in the 17th century when the Thames River froze. Scientists call this the “Maunder Minimum”.

Physicist Dan Lubin at the university and his team studied the past event and concluded that we are in for a worse case. The Sun is expected to get much dimmer than last time and, in scientific terms, it is a “grand minimum” — a time period in the 11-year solar cycle when the solar activities are at the lowest point . . .

Scientists also said that the Sun might have another cooling period in a decade.

However, predicting a solar minimum or maximum is a challenge to scientists because of the non-linear characteristic of solar activities that happens every day. During a minimum cycle, though solar cycles still occur, the intensity is very low, while during a maximum cycle, solar flares go up and sun spews out billion-ton clouds of electrified gas into space. These two extremes can bring about some major global and regional climate changes. (Read more from “Scientists: World Facing a Looming Ice Age Due to Solar Cooling” HERE)

http://joemiller.us/2018/02/scientists-world-facing-looming-ice-age-due-solar-cooling/

Ice Age Due Soon? 120 Studies This Past Year Link Climate Change to Solar Variations

By Bob Unruh. Global-warming diehards who converted their cause to “climate change” when the warming ceased a few years back are being dealt another blow as scientific forecasts of global cooling are about to take over.

“During 2017, 120 papers linking historical and modern climate change to variations in solar activity and its modulators (clouds, cosmic rays) have been published in scientific journals,” reported Kenneth Richard at NoTricksZone.

Richard compiled a list of multiple studies from the past few years drawing the same conclusion: It’s the sun’s activities that have a huge influence on whether earth’s temperatures vary. Thirteen forecast global cooling.

The global-warming alarmists contend mankind’s use of fossil fuels is irreparably heating up the earth’s average temperatures.

Global warming has become an industry, with the buying and selling of “carbon credits” that grant permission to use carbon fuel, massive tax plans to pay for alternative energy programs and more.

2. Feb 12, 2018 #2

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

Global warming and ice ages have been coming on since time began. According to what they say anyway, I don't have a clue whats going on with this crazy weather though.

I just know I see about 10 beautiful blue skis a year now where I use to see at least 250 a year. Soon as NOAH, NASA or whoever sees one they send out the planes to ugly everything up. And its happening all over the world not just here, so who nows what they are dumping.

Maybe it is saving the earth ,don't know?:dunno:

TMT Tactical, BugoutBob and Caribou like this.
  3. Feb 12, 2018 #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator

I predict that in the future we will all laugh at these studies.

4. Feb 12, 2018 #4

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

So far I don't find the humor in any of it. They don't write happy songs about cloudy days fro a reason.

5. Feb 12, 2018 #5

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

IF solar heat were to be affected, it would impact many aspects of life on earth. There have been ice ages before, according to scientists. On the other hand, what about all the global warming we keep hearing about?

6. Feb 12, 2018 #6

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

Void where prohibitied Neighbor Contributor

The biggest fear is that if solar power becomes widespread, we'll use up the sun before its time.
    We might have to set Mars on fire or something. :eek:

[​IMG]

7. Feb 12, 2018 #7

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

I believe that the sun has cycles that affect the temperature. Man made "climate change," not so much. The earth has seen ice ages and, probably more frequently, mini ice ages. Being in Alaska this could affect me. I'm thinking an extra cord of firewood rather than moving to Florida. Then again I was thinking about extra firewood anyway, that's what I do.

8. Feb 12, 2018 #8

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Having grown up on the prairie where the wind seems to be incessant, I have often known that wind can provide lots of energy. Someone told me that wind energy is inefficient. Someone else told me that windmills can affect wind patterns on the earth.

9. Feb 12, 2018 #9

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

I told you not to smoke that stuff.:switch:

10. Feb 12, 2018 #10

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Windmills affect wind patterns? I guess they do on a micro scale. Do these same people suggest that we cut down all the trees?:LOL: I don't think we have a thread on windmills yet.

11. Feb 12, 2018 #11

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I don't know about cutting down all the trees, but I do think that IF the sun were to stop shining on the earth due to cloud or debris cover from volcanic eruptions or something else, windmills would be another way to produce some energy. Not many trees on the prairies, except in creek beds and low areas. Cousin in Wyoming can't get trees to grow on his property due to the wind.

12. Feb 12, 2018 #12

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

From a purely astronomical view, the Sun has reached its middle age. Overall the Sun will get warmer from this point forward. It has cycles like all the rest of nature. It has a daily cycle, a yearly cycle and an 11 or 12 year cycle but it also has longer cycles (50, 100, and more) and all these cycles combine in ways that affect the amount of energy the sun produces. More importantly there are changes to the amount of energy per square meter reaching Earth. The Sun also drives the winds so if solar power declines so will wind. Remember though that the Earth also produces its own heat to some extent. When Pangaea was the only continent on Earth the oceans froze to a depth of miles and what broke it all up was the heat of the Earth. The massive volcanic and tectonic activity thawed the ice world that the Earth was and gave us the world we know. It is still in flux and the world is still changing. Iceland grows two centimeters a year and the Americas and Eurasia get two centimeters further apart each year. North America and asia get closer each year. California, west of the Sierra Nevada range moves north by a centimeter or more each year. The oceans heat from deep in their depths and this little blue marble that we call home is a different place than it was yesterday. After enough yesterdays, around 5 billion years, the sun will engulf the Earth and it will become part of the sun.

None of the carbon credits, oil producing nations, nuclear power plants and hydro-electric dams will change anything in the long term. It is just one day in the life of the galaxy and a moment in the life of the universe. Mankind believes it is important in the grand scheme but it is just one of natures experiments on a little blue dot on the outskirts of a medium sized galaxy in a nondescript spot in the universe. There are billions of others in our little neighborhood and many more in the universe. It only matters to us because we live here at this time. It is difficult to understand that we have no power over the processes taking place around us. We are much too self-important to accept our true place in the universe. Unless we can grow beyond our self importance we are doomed as a failed experiment of nature. It has happened many times before and will happen many times in the future.

I believe there are those among us who can learn to know our true place but they have to take possession of that concept and work to make it happen.

zoomzoom, TMT Tactical, BlueZ and 4 others like this.
  13. Feb 12, 2018 #13

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

So if global warming stays at current pace and ends up being enough to counteract the effects of the coming ice age to keep temps at expected even keel than the use of fossil fuels, industry, and all other components of global warming currently being demonized will end up saving millions of lives?! Choke on that d Al Gore!!!!

14. Feb 12, 2018 #14

buildit

buildit

buildit

Hay Seed Scientist Neighbor Contributor

Despite how much the Maunder Minimum might have affected Earth the last time, Lubin said that an upcoming event would not stop the current trend of planetary warming but might slow it somewhat. The cooling effect of a grand minimum is only a fraction of the warming effect caused by the increasing concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. After hundreds of thousands of years of CO2 levels never exceeding 300 parts per million in air, the concentration of the greenhouse gas is now over 400 parts per million, continuing a rise that began with the Industrial Revolution. Other researchers have used computer models to estimate what an event similar to a Maunder Minimum, if it were to occur in coming decades, might mean for our current climate, which is now rapidly warming.

One such study looked at the climate consequences of a future Maunder Minimum-type grand solar minimum, assuming a total solar irradiance reduced by 0.25 percent over a 50-year period from 2020 to 2070. The study found that after the initial decrease of solar radiation in 2020, globally averaged surface air temperature cooled by up to several tenths of a degree Celsius. By the end of the simulated grand solar minimum, however, the warming in the model with the simulated Maunder Minimum had nearly caught up to the reference simulation. Thus, a main conclusion of the study is that "a future grand solar minimum could slow down but not stop global warming."
    https://phys.org/news/2018-02-energy-sun-mid-centurynow-scientists.html

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-02-energy-sun-mid-centurynow-scientists.html#jCp

15. Feb 12, 2018 #15

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Long as our aquifer's are being deleted and soils are being poisoned by big ag our natural resources are not going to be around much longer.

According to some studies 70% of our ground water being mined is now being exported to other nations . Thank Coco Cola and Foreign owned Nestles Bottlers who are two largest.

TMT Tactical, BlueZ and BugoutBob like this.
  16. Feb 12, 2018 #16

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Don't move to Florida, Caribou. I heard that Florida is where most criminals go after prison.

17. Feb 12, 2018 #17

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Are you referring to retired politicians?

18. Feb 12, 2018 #18

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

maybe