Pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs and other Swine' started by GrannyG, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dec 27, 2017 #1

GrannyG

GrannyG

GrannyG

Awesome Friend Contributor Neighbor

[​IMG]

2. Dec 27, 2017 #2

GrannyG

GrannyG

GrannyG

Sure miss my sweet Suzie and Bimbo...they died of old age....had them for years, Suzi would untie my shoe laces and lick my shoes, follow me everywhere oinking and making little piggy noises. But on the other hand, wild pigs are a big problem in our area, they tear up lots of land...but lots of good food for hunters

3. Dec 28, 2017 #3

Redbeard

Redbeard

Redbeard

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

What breed were they?

4. Dec 28, 2017 #4

GrannyG

GrannyG

GrannyG

They were pot belly pigs...I took Suzi in as her owner was dying and called me to help him, also took his parrots, an Amazon and a Timothy Grey who lived for years and were such wonderful pets....Jimbo came from another town, no pigs allowed, and a small child was in tears....told him I would take him and he could come any time and see him....he never did...LOL....

5. Dec 30, 2017 #5

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

My best friends middle aged daughter has a pet pig she got about same way as you did. Hubby had one as a pet as a kid. His name was Arnold. His grandfather took Arnold and butchered him. Then his parents served it up and after Hubby was done ask him how Arnold taste. He never has liked pork since. Sometimes bacon. He never did think it was funny.

6. Jan 14, 2018 #6

marlas1too

marlas1too

marlas1too

I remember my mother raising pigs when i was young the big red ones and all she fed them was slop from a 55 gal barrel and table scraps and those hogs got big around 300-to 400 lbs. she just emptied 2 sacks of mash into the barrel and added water and she made the feeders herself from 2x12 lumber---miss those days -real homesteading

MoBookworm1957, Dani, Peanut and 4 others like this.
  7. Feb 3, 2018 #7

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

Pigs are a strange thing. They are very smart and can be very endearing.they are also dangerous as all get out and will literally eat you if circumstances are right. They sure are tasty though

8. Feb 3, 2018 #8

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

In my experience they are not pets but livestock, money to put food on the table. When I was young our neighbor to the east raised hogs. Every few months he’d have a couple of hundred shotes (shoats) that needed to be cut (castrated). My job was to catch and hold a 30lb pig in the air by his hind legs. Dad or my neighbor would then cut the pig and spray a blue aerosol medicine on it. I hated that job but it paid well. Dad and I would come home at midnight covered in pig poop.

No matter how well I bathed I’d get strange looks at school the next day. Sort of funny now but I actually felt superior to my classmates who had to work in chicken houses. They smelled worse and had to catch chickens more often. Livestock on a large scale is completely different than a few critters in the back yard. Life in the country! :)

9. Feb 3, 2018 #9

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

knothead Staff Member Moderator

Hey , Peanut,

Not only did I have to hold em, while my gramps did the cuttin...
    I was the one that had to herd them into a stall, then catch em one at a time...
    I know about that smell...

Jim

10. Feb 3, 2018 #10

timmie

timmie

timmie

hubby yells pork chop and ours come a running. they also come up when they hear the truck pull in the yard.

11. Feb 3, 2018 #11

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

An uncle came and got me once to help him cut an old boar. I thought he was crazy! That boar was mean and weighed at least 650lbs. I wouldn’t get in the lot with him normally. He was past his prime as a breeder and uncle wanted to cut him, fatten him up a little more then sell him.

Slickest trick I ever saw. We laid a 55-gallon drum on its side (top cut out) and threw some corn in it. That old boar wedged himself up inside the drum trying to get the corn. At the proper moment we ran up and each grabbed a rear leg. We lifted and stood the boar on his head, put a rope around his body and a pole so he couldn’t tip back over.

Uncle cut him… I loosened the rope so the boar could tip over and we ran for the fence! When that boar got out of the drum he was not a happy camper!:D

12. Feb 3, 2018 #12

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

knothead Staff Member Moderator

^^^That's funny...

Jim

13. Feb 7, 2018 #13

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

BugoutBob

@Peanut I don’t blame the boar. If someone tricked me with some food, hung m3 upside down and fixed me, I think I might be pretty ticked too

Terri9630, MoBookworm1957 and Peanut like this.