Mountain House and other LTS foods

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by angie_nrs, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Feb 10, 2018 #1

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

I was wondering if anyone could give an opinion of the Mountain House 10# cans of diced chicken? I have a coupon and I see there is a sale at safecastle on MH chicken at $211 for 6 cans. After a brief online search, that looks like a decent price. I have never ordered meats for LTS, but I could use the diced chicken to make chicken soup, chicken stew, chicken salad sandwiches, etc. Just not sure I want to drop around $175 (after coupon) on 6 cans of the stuff when I've never tried it before.

I would also be interested in any other LTS brand foods you have tried and really like or dislike with the reasoning behind your opinions.

Would it be prudent to wait for a better sale elsewhere? I'm pretty sure Walmart does a really good sale on Auguson Farm products online in the spring. Although, I haven't tried any of those either.

MoBookworm1957, OBG 57 and BugoutBob like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2018 #2

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

I don't recall having tried the chicken.
    I'd suggest you go to WalMart or Amazon and buy an individual meal of the item before dumping a lot of money in the cans.

I can say the Mountain House bacon and eggs is terrible. My dog wouldn't even eat it.

3. Feb 10, 2018 #3

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

This is a great idea, to try individual meals. I only have a few MH meals and haven't eaten any in decades. They might be better now than they were then. I have never really invested in any MH foods.

4. Feb 10, 2018 #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator

I started out buying Augason Farms and have just stuck with them. I do have some random meals and cans from other makers, but I only buy other brands if I find them on clearance for next to nothing or they are free. I have eaten some of the Augason Farms stuff and it was not bad. But as far as I am concerned hungry people will eat whatever I provide. Even powdered eggs are better than rat on a stick.

timmie, Woody, ssonb and 6 others like this.
  5. Feb 10, 2018 #5

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

The MH chicken tastes fine. For single meal servings of things, Backpacker's pantry is pretty good.

6. Feb 11, 2018 #6

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cascadian

I have tried quite a bit of MH foods and find most of them pretty tasty for a just add water meal. They have been around a long time. $29 a can for all meat is a good price. I agree on the bacon and eggs eat it before it gets cold or it is really yucky. Still better than twigs and bark tho.

One of our favorite breakfast cans is oatmeal and blueberry. Just add cold water and it has some powdered milk in it also. Even the grandkids love it and it is pretty filling.

7. Feb 11, 2018 #7

OBG 57

OBG 57

OBG 57

+1 and if you sign up for their email adds they send out sale adds about every other day,some as much as 50% off or free shipping :)

8. Feb 11, 2018 #8

OBG 57

OBG 57

OBG 57

PS if I ever run out of food a smart rat would stay away :D

9. Feb 11, 2018 #9

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Rat on a stick is pretty tasty with a bit of salt and pepper. It's not a turkey dinner but better than some of the packaged food I have eaten.

10. Feb 17, 2018 at 3:45 AM #10

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

I ate so much MH food when I hiked the AT afterward the smell would just turn my head. MH has a lot of MSG in their foodstuffs and you can develop allergies to it, Augason farms is what we are buyin now. Now on the rat on stick it all depends on what flavor the stick is.

11. Feb 17, 2018 at 8:34 AM #11

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

MSG, not a good thing for me. It is migraine material and I avoid it like the plague!

12. Feb 18, 2018 at 3:44 PM #12

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor Contributor

We stay away from most of the prepared meals, too many additives and soy protean isolates, it's just easier for us to take a lot of single products and make our own prepared meals, dehydrated or freeze dried meats and vegetables can make some really tasty meals.